12.11.2008

Food (Democracy) Fights


When I can, I try to take advantage of the many golden food opportunities here in the Golden State (that is California's motto, right?). I try to make it every week to the year-round Hollywood Farmers' Market right , I try to buy organic, use my food dollars to vote for sustainable choices... In short, I'm trying to make my mark.
Some notable others, though, have been able to make a much greater impact than I can alone. Their work has culminated in a petition to foster Food Democracy in our new administration. You can sign the petition here -- it's basically a letter to the President-Elect stating that we need to develop sustainable food practices in the United States. It concludes with a shortlist of suggested Secretary of Agriculture candidates. (Thanks to GreenBean for the initial info about Food Democracy).

Other major impacts on the food movement have come in the form of one book that I adore, Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, and in the form of one book that I'm just starting, Babara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Look for full book reviews of both books in the future. Pollan's fantastic (and very lengthy) New York Times article on the matter is both enlightening and upsetting. Take a look at it before you make your next grocery store trip.

P.S. One of my favorite ways to practice sustainable produce procurement is to check out Fallen Fruit's website, looking for local, public fruit. Fallen Fruit publishes a map of all the public fruit in an area. Public fruit is fruit that grows over public space -- like the pomegranates that hang over the sidewalk in front of my neighbor's lawn. Yum! They are so tart and fresh and way better than store-bought.

No comments: